LONDON BADGERS 2017 TOURNAMENT RULES
All teams are guaranteed a minimum of 3 games weather permitting. TOURNAMENT HEADQUARTERS WILL BE LOCATED AT STRONACH PARK IN LONDON ONTARIO FOR ALL DIVISIONS. TOURNAMENT RULES The rules of Major League Baseball and the Ontario Baseball Association (OBA) will apply with the following notes:
1. OBA Line-up cards and score sheets will be used. The home team will be the official scorekeeper and visiting team will be the official pitch counter. The scorekeeper and pitch counter will sit together in a designated area (when possible) where only they will be permitted. Area will be designated behind home plate and will be sectioned off from other spectators. Lineups should be exchanged at least 10 minutes before game time.
2. Important – All coin tosses will be completed 30 minutes prior to the start of your game. Coin tosses will take place at your field. A member of your coaching staff must arrive at the field 30 minutes prior to your scheduled start time to take the coin toss. After the coin toss, the home team will be given the score sheet and away team will be given the pitch count sheet. Each team will be given a clipboard at the start of the tournament and it is yours to keep. Score sheets and pitch counts must be returned to the field convenor at the conclusion of your game. The team travelling the furthest will make the call on the coin toss. Coin tosses will take place at each field by an onsite convenor.
3. In case of rain/and or other delays the tournament, schedule may be revised at the Convenor's discretion. A cell phone contact from each team will be required at registration.
4. Games will be 7 innings in length. No new inning will start after 1 hour and 45 minutes have elapsed from the time of the first pitch. There is not a drop dead time. The umpire should notify both teams and the scorekeeper of the time of the first pitch. The semi finals will have a time limit of 1 hour 45 minutes. Championship games will be 7 innings with NO time limit.
5. Tie games will be allowed to stand in pool play. There will be NO extra innings in pool play.
6. There will be no pre-game warm ups on the infield,
7. In all OBA games an 18 run mercy rule will apply after 3 innings (2 ½ if the home team is ahead), a 15 run mercy rule after 4 innings ( 3 ½ if the home team is ahead), and a 10 run mercy rule will apply after 5 innings (4 ½ if the home team is ahead) or any subsequent inning thereafter.
8. The decision of the umpire(s) is final. Protests will be resolved on the field by the protest committee
9. The score of a forfeited game will be recorded as 7-0, and 5 innings for tie breaking purposes.
10. In case of ties in standings the following will be used (OBA rules P7-3 t) & u) P7.3 t)
i. head to head record among tied teams
ii. team with the smallest runs against ratio (runs allowed / number of defensive innings played) in games among tied teams; Page 65 Constitution & By-Laws of Baseball Ontario Revised for the 2016 Playing Season
iii. team with the smallest runs against ratio (runs allowed / number of defensive innings played) in all games
iv. team with the highest runs for ratio (runs scored / number of offensive innings played) in games among tied teams
v. team with the highest runs for ratio ( runs scored / number of offensive innings played) in all games
vi. coin toss P7.3 u) When there are 3 or more teams tied, the tiebreakers will commence at 7.3(t)(ii). After the winner of that tie breaker is determined, the tiebreakers will continue, if necessary, at 7.3(t)(ii) as long as there are 3 or more teams tied. When only 2 teams remain, the tiebreaker will start at 7.3(t)(i).
11. Team registration process. For 2017, teams will do not have to complete a tournament sign in sheet. Team Roster Numbers (4-digit #) will be needed. Failure to provide an OBA roster number prior to the start of the first game will result in a fine from OBA to the team. Teams must have copies of affiliate-approved or OBA-approved rosters with them, but do not have to leave a copy with the convenor. On site convenor will log the roster number at check-in before the team’s first game.
12. Tournament awards are set at 16 per team.
13. Managers and coaches are responsible for the conduct of anyone involved with their team throughout the tournament including coaches, players, and spectators.
14. The London Badgers Baseball Association accepts no responsibility for any injuries, damages or losses to anyone during the tournament.
15. Teams are asked to retrieve foul balls hit during the game. No time will be added for any delays due to a lack of baseballs.
16. Teams are asked to conduct post game meetings off the field. Please gather all equipment and personal items as quickly as possible to keep the games on schedule.
17. The Official Score Keeper (home team) will inform the Home Plate Umpire of the Official Pitch Counter and Scorekeeper prior to the start of the game.
18. Pitch counts of the Official Pitch Counter will be the ONLY numbers used by the umpire during a game regardless of what numbers (pitch counts) any coach or spectator may have – no appeal or protest of the numbers recorded will be permitted. It is suggested that coaches check the pitch count of a pitcher recorded by the official pitch counter at the conclusion of each inning.
19. Coaches shall sign the official game sheet immediately following the conclusion of the game acknowledging the Pitch Counts of the pitchers used during the game. In the event of a discrepancy in numbers, the pitch counts of the official pitch counter shall stand. In the event a coach fails to sign the game sheet, the pitch counts recorded will be considered official and no appeal or protest of the numbers will be allowed at a later time. It is recommended that coaches initial the pitch count of a pitcher as recorded by the official pitch counter immediately upon a pitching change.